Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OX choices menu problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBall

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,
after an aborted upgrade to repair my installation, I now get the os choices menu displayed every time I boot up.
One is my current opeating system, the other is 'Windows default'.
I've been into boot.ini to get rid of the windows default, which doesn't work, but there is only 1 entry in there, which is the one I want.
So, I need to find out where this other option is being picked up from, so I can get rid of it.
thanks.

Regards,
Graham

You haven't been beta testing windows vista?!!

Can you post your boot.ini?

Is there just one partition on this drive?

Thanks for the help.
I couldn't see how to get round it - there was only one entry in the boot ini and only one partition.
I had this idea that if I renamed the boot.ini, that MS would create a new one (this was after a couple of glasses of wine!).
Big mistake - couldn't get into windows. Tried using Knoppix, which boots from a cd, but I couldn't get write permission to my disk.
So, I ended up re-installing Windows.
Well, it gave me a chance to clean things up a bit !!!

Regards,
Graham

Sorry you had to re-install everything, but like you say it gives you the opportunity for some good spring cleaning.

For future reference try BartPE, you may find it easier than Knoppix.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD).

Also the Boot.ini file is often a "read only" attribute, as well as a hidden and system file. There is also often a file called Boot.bak which is a backup copy of any original Boot.ini file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back