Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ownership inheritance (NTFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudius

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2000
US
Anybody have an idea on how to force parent directory
ownership to files and subfolders ?... I want to prevent
users from becoming permissions granters.
I don't know much about Unix but there seems to exist a
command (setgid) that could do it, any known equivalent
for W2K ?

Txs.

If you have administrative access you can grant parent directory ownership to all files and directories through Windows Explorer. Right-click on the parent directory that has the ownership that you want to force downward and choose the security tab, click on ADVANCED and choose the ownership tab from the windows that comes up. Here you will see the current folder ownership and a check box in the lower left hand corner that states 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. Click on the box, placing a check mark there, and APPLY. This will propagate the ownership to all files and folders below that directory.

I hope that helps.

Yeah thanks, but I knew that. I want to set ownership on the fly... Unlike permissions that are inherited from parent folder, ownership is not. This is my problem because I want to prevent users from managing permissions. See ?

CM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back