Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ownership/access rights of a Windows NFS created file in unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

litehouselady

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a installed on a Windows NT server the Windows Services for UNIX and created a NFS mount point on the UNIX box. Files created in this directory by UNIX can be accessed fine from the Windows network but files I create on the Windows side I can't access from UNIX. They are created with an owner of "nobody" and RWX for owner only when you look at the file in UNIX. Even root can't do anything with the file. I have check all sharing options and permissions on the windows side and the directory has full control for everyone. Any suggestions????

Hi,

sounds a bit like a configuration problem on the NT side, ie. this NT NFS-Daemon. I think that the NT-box or this Service running on it, can't identify with which user the UNIX-box is accessing.
That even root can't do anything has to mean nothing, as the share is on the NT-box (if i got you right) and NT doesn't know root. At least, the user that is hitting the NT-box from the UNIX-machine has right to write on that share, but no read... Maybe config of the NT-NFS-server is not correct?

Not sure how to configure it on NT side, but maybe this helps:

If i got you wrong and the share ie. nfsd is used on the UNIX-box and the NT-box is one of many clients, check "/etc/exports" and re-export it with "exportfs -uv" then "exportfs -av", or maybe other options on other UNIX's as you didn't say what kind of UNIX you are using. Else, "man exports" or "man exportfs" will help on UNIX-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back