Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Owner deleted all access to Hard Drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSummers

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
I have a user, he is the owner of his business. He decided to "clean up" his production computer and went into security settings for the hard drive and deleted access by ANYONE to the hard drive- including the Administrator. Anyway to get the Administrator account access back. Right now his Windows 2000 system begins to log in, then reboots because it has no access to the hard drive.

my advice take the system disc, reinstall it. When you reinstall windows it will give u 2 options. Completely wipe out the hard drive and install a fresh copy or install the other way. I dont remember the exact words it gives u but choose the other one. When u install it that way all your files and programs will be left on there. Or you can use the system disc to repair windows. not for sure if im much help but i thought i would try.

Theory, not sure if this will work...

Slave machine off another 2k or xp box. Right click drive, go and in security, take ownership of drive. Assign everyone group and administrator full control of the drive. Dismount it, and pop it back in and reboot.

Even if this doesn't work, you'll probably have to do this anyways to recovers his email, favorites, data, etc...

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back