Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA users can't authenticate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktisdall

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
US
Environment:
I have an exchange 2000 server running with IIS. Outlook client users are getting to mail just fine. I want to get them going on OWA. As a first step I am testing WITHIN MY LAN so no firewalls are involved. Just my PC pointing to the exchange server.

Problem:
Users can't authenticate to their OWA mailboxes. On my PC, in IE5.5 I type the address:

and I get a prompt to log on. If I enter a user's name and password it fails to authenticate. However a domain-admin group user CAN log on. Because admin can run OWA I assume the web site is operating but that there is an authority issue. I just can't figure out where.

Another thread suggested trying to authenticate users to to check the site operation. Users CAN authenticate to this link.

Any suggestions?

--Kevin

Yes, Domain Users and Everyone both have log on locally rights to the exchange server.

--Kevin

This was corrected by setting permissions for 'authenticated users' to read, read & execute, and list folder contents in the \exchsvr folder and its subfolders on the server. Previously 'everyone' has full control but that did not do the trick.

--Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back