Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA - Slow/No Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

roloexe

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
Not sure what is happening. Outlook Web Access for my firm seemed to have been working fine a week ago and now whenever any of my users want to connect via web, the connection is so slow it times out. Sometimes it gets them onto the logon page and then the connection hangs from there. Other times they can't even get to the logon at all. I've re-booted several times and that seems to fix the problem for a few minutes then the issues repeat. I am running Exchange 5.5 with service pack 4. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

it could be a lot of things, I'd check every process that's running on the exchange server.

It could be the anti-virus software, the back-up software, it could be a virus, it could be a hacker.

Check what processes are running when people start complaining, check to see if you are getting unusual traffic through the firewall to the email server.

Hi people....i am encountering exactly the same problem and there is no indication of errors in the even log....the other problem that occurs is that you cannot restart Worldwide Web Publishing Service...its freezes..any help on this matter woud be great...if I discover what the problem i will gladly share

Review your event logs on the IIS and Exchange servers. Post the events you find. You may receive more substantial help.

Thank you for your advice....after checking the event viewer and tallying up the event ID's on the microsoft technet site I seem to have resolved the issue. I needed to amend the log on locally user rights and enable and correct Directory Security rights on the ISM. Worth trying to enable anonymous access to the site and ensure you have NT authentication on Exchange Resource and the site itself. Refer to technet for exact steps which will explain steps.

goher,
I have the same problem right now on my owa, can you show me how to thru the process you went thru to fix you owa?
I really need help on this.
thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. I still have not found an answer to this issue. I tried various things, I even went as far as uninstalling/reinstall IIS & OWA. It still did not work (maybe I should have done the same with Exchange). As a workaround, I added another Exchange server to my site (that makes 2) running OWA. This was something I've wanted to do for a while now as a fail safe. After doing so OWA worked for a couple of days but the problem came back. Heres the thing, I checked the event logs on the new server. EVENT ID 100 caused me to look into my DC Security Policies in AD(something I missed on the old). I noticed that 75% of my users were not added to the list for local logon. Don't know why but after messing around and adding "domain users" to that list and forced a refresh and viola! OWA began working. Checkout this link on MS for more info..... &

Have you recently deployed MS Office Outlook 2003 in your organization?

It seems that if a user logs in to his mailbox with Outlook 2003 and subsequently logs in to OWA 5.5 freezes up FOR EVERYONE in the manner that you describe.

It had been happening to us and we have been banging our heads against the wall to get to the bottom of it.

Here is the (little publicized) hotfix, we used it, so far so good.

We have deployed on NT/Exchange 5.5-SP4 and 2000/Exchange 5.5S-SP4 OWA

This really works, as they say on TV-Shop.

That Hotfix makes it work.

It´s strange that a client (OL2003) can destroy things like that.
But it does.

Hmmm, It did work for a while, but not for long I´m afraid.
OWA kept hanging again after some time.

Now I worked around it by scheduling a task to run "IISRESET /RESTART" twice a day.

That resets the IIS and the and voila, OWA runs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back