Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA prompting for Password change 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubarooni

Technical User
May 13, 2001
US
I recently setup OWA on Exchange 5.5 server. Works beautifully except, that after you logon it says:

'Your current password is about to expire in 0 days. To change your password go to the Options page after you login.'

This happens regardless of who logs in. No users passwords are ever set to expire in User Manager for Domains. This is a constant source of consternation and indeed, panic, for my users. No matter how many times I tell them to just click the 'OK' button and proceed, they still freak out and call me.

How can I get rid of this problem. Well, let me be more specific. I can't get rid of the users (what a shame) so how can I get rid of the error message.

Thanks in Advance.

Kelly

also make sure that you have not ticked "Users must change password at logon"

If there are no days left to change password, then maybe you HAVE to change the password, as you set the passwords never to expire too late.....so changing them once might do the trick?? Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

HI.

I'm having the same issue.
Maybe its a side effect of one of the IIS security updates?

I have it on EXCHANGE 5.5 SP4, NT4 SP6a + SRP.
OWA is hosted on the same server running IIS4.

I haven't tried re-applying SP4 for Exchange yet, since only the administrator uses OWA there so its not a problem for us - and didn't have the time to check it out.
But you can try reapply SP4 and see what happens.

My guess is that MS will solve this in one of the next updates.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

you should do a search on this site for the answer. i had the same problem about a month ago and i can't remember how i fixed it....i think the answer was with IIS, but i can't be sure.

Go to exchsrvr\webdata\usa and open the root.asp in notepad. Look for this line:

if cint(days) < 0 then days = 10000

Change the < 0 to < 1.

I had the same problem and this fixed it. Watch after you install hotfixes and patches though...it changes the setting back to 0.

mojo

majmojo is correct. I too had the same problem. This fixed it.

Other thoughts: KEEP ON TOP OF IIS PATCHES. When you host a web page, you usually keep the box in a DMZ, isolated from your actual NT domain. It's safer that way. With OWA, you can still isolate the box in a DMZ, but unfortunatly, is also has to be part of your domain (or a seperate domain w/ a 2-way trust). While your inside network isn't TOTALLY hanging out on the Internet, it is still somewhat exposed. BE CAREFUL. Stay on top of your security:
1) Run through the IIS security checklist (it's in TechNet)
2) Get on MS's security alert list. They'll notify you via email when a new patch comes out.
3) Have an EXTREMELY hard Admin password.

There are MANY other steps to secure your server, but you get the idea.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

ebr

Nice one Maj - this has been bugging me for weeks! Made the change and it cured it first time.

That's another item crossed off the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back