Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA Login Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
US
I hope someone has seen this before. I recently started using OWA for some users at one of my accounts and I have started seeing some strange behavior with the 2k server. When I attempt to log onto the server which supports the E2k system, the sign on dialog box immediately returns to the screen. If I cancel the attempt to log on and then simply hit the go button on the internet exporer panel, the system logs me on.

Very strange and I want to make sure there are no holes in the firewall allowing access to the system.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

Jim

I'm a bit confused...are you trying to logon to your OWA box? or are you trying to logon to the server via TS or Remote Desktop?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

ok, I THINK I know what you mean.

You use IE to connect to emailserver/exchange and get prompted for a username and password. Hit ok and you log in as you.

If that's the case you've got OWA working and also got NTLM running as well to pass through the logon credentials to OWA.

Hmmm...if I type in the \\servername\exchange from my computer I don't get prompted for credentials at all, I just login as me (or the user I'm logged onto the computer as). If I type in \\ip address\exchange I get prompted for a username\password so I can logon as others.

Yup - NTLM is great and you are an administrator. If you go by IP you'll be able to log in as anyone you need to using username/pass. Going by name passes the username you are logged in as.

Its a "feature" :)

I am going thru a cisco VPN client and then attempting to logon with \\ip address\exchange. When asked for the credentials, I enter the user to log on as, the password for the user and then the domain name. It goes to the intial white screen as if it is attempting to log on and then returns the creditial screen again. If i cancel at that point and then hit the go button on the IE screen (upper right corner) it logs on. I am not sure what is going on here.

ok, the VPN client should configure your WINS and DNS entries correctly so you should be able to use the server name. What happens then?

Unable to log into the server via server name\exchange. Able to log in with TS and remote desktop, but have issues with OWA.

Well heck...learned something new today..or rather..learned a "why" today, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back