Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA login failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4nn4b1337

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2009
US
First of all, let me say I have very weak exchange skills so bare with me.

The quick version:
OWA works ok for everybody but users in a single department.
With the user logged in, they can get the OWA login page but when they input their credentials they get a page can't be displayed error. However, it works for me on the same computer with the same user logged in.
All profile configurations that I can see allow the users access to OWA.
I found a discrepency in DNS registration with the a: record. However, I imagine that if this is creating the issue then everybody would be affected.

The long version:
Our OWA is an existing system witch has worked ok in the past and it is not a new installation. I think the problem may have started a while ago but I have no way to determine that. Users only began complaining recently but they said it has been like that for a while and it has only effected a few users.
(some background)
We support a campus that contains a school, government offices, fire dept, etc. The problem is the fire dept personnel are complaining of not being able to access email via OWA. Nobody else seems to have an issue.
While trouble shooting the problem, I visited the desk of one of the users who can't login to OWA. She can get to the login page but, when she enters her credentials she gets a page can not be diplayed error. However, I hit the page back button and enter my credentials it logs me in with no problem. This removed any possible browser configuration or network issues.

I've dug through all the configurations, permissions, etc and only found a DNS registration problem with the A record. The A record seems to be resolving to the NS record and not the email server address. However, I would imagine if this is the cause of the problem everybody would be effected and not just a few users.

It seems to me that it could be a permissions issue but their accounts are configured to allow access to OWA.

Now mind you the network situation is FUBAR. The previous IT contractors decided to place a second domain controller and exchange front end at the fire dept, then created a point to point VPN IPSEC tunnel to the main building for AD replication as they are not directly connected on the LAN. Since the only users experiencing problems are in the Fire Dept I am considering the problem may be with account replciation but that doesn't seem plausible. However, I really am at a loss here.

I think I have narrowed the problem down to be related to fire dept personnel user/exchange accounts but they seem to be configured correctly.

What else can I look at? keeping in mind I may have overlooked somethign in the user profile configurations due to my weak exchange skills. I'm not confident I ruled out all possible permisssions issues.

Network+ / Security+ / C|EH /CCNA
Working towards CCNP and CWNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back