Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA from a Corporate Web Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

resources

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
Today my boss asked what it would take to create a link on our corporate website that would allow users to access their email via Outlook Web Access. Currently I allow a handful of users rights to logon via OWA to get their email by using a public address. Some of the problems that I have experienced with OWA is that you have to use a Micrsoft browser for it to work. Also, if a user has a cable modem service such as AT&T's @home, a proxy setting is forced and a registered DLL has to unregistered to allow connectivity. Would I need a VPN configured on my network to allow users to access to OWA via a corporate web link? What are the possible security risks involved with implementing this? Thanks.

Tbere are some security risks with putting a link on your corporated website to OWA access, its advertising to the world that you are offering OWA. A simple NS lookup of your domain will tell the hacker your MX record, now he nows what to try and hack. So I would not reccommend a link on the corporated website, just my advice. The less information you give out for free, the less a potential hacker knows.

If you deploy OWA using SSL, then you are using the safest method (short of using a VPN).

You do not need a VPN to utilize an HTML link on your website for OWA.

Are you using SSL for owa currently?

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back