Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA Exchange 2003 with only 1 server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatter

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2005
DK
Hi.

Is it possible to activate OWA so that users can access their mails for the Internet when we only have 1 Exchange 2003 server running? I mean it can't be set as an front end server because its the only one. I only have 2 ports on my PIX 506 firewall (read: no DMZ) so is it possible to open up a HTTP / HTTPS port and point it to the Exchange 2003 server??

Yes and Yes.

Install OWA to the Exchange box.
Then use a static inside, outside link for Exchange (or something more up to date, my Cisco knowledge is rather elderly!) to link the public to the private and that is it.

Well, it worked for me for years anyway.

you would be better to install a certifcate for OWA.

And configure you Firewall to forward 443 traffic to the exchange box. This is more secure. If you what to have an address externally like then make sure that your ISP adds the correct "A" record to your domain.

Ps. when you install Exchange 2003 on a server, OWA is automaically installed/available internally. just needs to be configured for external use.

I would also enable form authenication for owa and it is a much more user friendly interface.

better to install"?

You can install a certificate, but without installing ISA and creating a conduit, you ain't gonna connect.

I hadn't noticed I was in the 2003 forum, but yes OWA is there as a default install (not always selected though) and forms based auth is the default OWA auth method for 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back