Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA does not always authenticate user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1utch

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
Many of my users use OWA to access their email. Some users will access their email via OWA and then log off. Another user might then walk up and use that same PC to try and access his/her email. After typing in the OWA web address it doesn't prompt them for a username/password/domain like it did for the last user. It instead simply pulls up the last user's email. Our PC's are using Windows 2000 with IE 6.0 sp1. Has anyone else experienced this?

Chris

...also to clarify:

This action does not happen on all of our Win2k PCs. Its flakey. All PCs are using the same browser and OS. On most PCs, this authentication works like it should.

Bottom line, if I go to the root of OWA, it sometimes doesn't prompt for username and password to determine which mailbox to open. Instead it just gets lazy and uses the last known authenticated user.

Chris

Are some of your users ticking the "Remember Password" box when being presented with the Login dialogue box?

Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks for the reply, but no, they are not. Its really puzzling. I inherited this Exchange server when I started working here and its done this since day one. I turned off "Integrated Windows Authentication" within the virtual directory a couple of days ago. This change seemed to force those PC's that were experiencing this problem to start prompting them again for a username/password again. However, I've never been able to recreate this problem, so I'm not sure if this fix is just temporary.

-Chris

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back