Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA, DNS and Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktisdall

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
US
Environment:

Win2k prof sp2 PC, IE5.5sp2, Exch2k sp2 on Win2k server, win2k DC/DNS on separate server, local network - no firewalls or routers.

Issue:

A local LAN user can authenticate to OWA with the URL The login prompt is the two-field version since I use basic authentication and have the domain name entered in the basic authentication properties of IIS.

I wanted to have a simpler URL than the server name so in the win2k DC I created the DNS host record pointing the host name OWA to x.x.x.x, the same address as the record for servername.

Using the two-field login prompt appears and can be filled in. Then OWA starts to load and another two-field login prompt appears. Behind it is the OWA mailbox and if I look at the folder list that is available, the public folder is not listed. After I fill out the second login prompt the public folder appears and I can work in OWA.

The only other visible difference in the two login scenarios is that if I use the realm is servername on the login prompt. If I use then the first login prompt has OWA in the realm and the second login prompt has servername in the realm.

What's going on? Why would using one dns address be different than using another (they both point to the same ip address)?

--Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back