Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA 503 FE BE ****Resolution*** 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameshutchinson008

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
GB
My initial problem
-------------------

I am running multiple AD domains with exchange installed in all. I have a front end server that supplies OWA access to user mailboxes. When I try and connect to a mailbox on a specific domain I am prompted for authentication. After I have authenticated I get the "503 service unavailable" message and no mailbox. If I connect to the back end server hosting the mailbox there is no problem.

I applied a machine running ethereal on the perrimeter and monitored the traffic between my FE and BE servers.

I noticed that when I was unabled to connect to the back end server I was getting an NBNS name queery for the BE server on the broadcast adress. The server resides across WAN links that suppress broadcast traffic so this wasn't going to be resolved. To get around the initial problem I added a static mapping into WINS and sure enough I can now connect.

I confirmed that the DNS settings were correct on my FE server and they were does anyone know why the servername was being resolved using broadcast and not DNS, I can resolve the servername using an nslookup.

Hope this helps,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back