Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWA 2003 on 2000? or alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngkatsaras

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2004
US
I have an SBS 2000 server that has been running strong and with very few problems, thank God. However, I'm really tired of the antiquated OWA that came in 2000. Is there ANY way to hack the OWA 2003 files to run on 2000? Even the basic (non-premium) site? If that's not possible (please don't lecture me on legality and licensing), then are there any free, open-source web clients that I can use? I've looked at and I'm not really too impressed... I suppose the best thing would be some sort of web based IMAP client.. but I really want something that can pull up the global address list and show the entire list of names so you can pick and choose who you want to send to (a major shortcoming of OWA 2000 that it does not allow this).

Thanks,

Nick

Choices:
Upgrade Exchange Server to 2003.
Install a 2003 front end to give OWA link to 2000 back end.

Thanks, but MS makes it very difficult to upgrade SBS 2000 to Standard 2003. Why did they do that? Now that we have grown. I need to separate my SQL 2000 to another server. Now I am going to purchase two new servers, two licenses of Windows 2003 Standard, one license of SQL 2000 standard, another license of Exchange 2003 (possibly advanced). This is a mission and a half, as you could imagine! Sure I plan to do the upgrade eventually, but it's going to take a lot of planning and a good weekend of total down time, if I am lucky and have no issues... in the mean time, I think it's really M$ like that they haven't offered an option to upgrade just the OWA portion. Also, I'm surprised that the open source community hasn't offered anything in this area.. I have looked at openexchange, but for something that is open source and supposedly freeware, they have a premium version with all of the necessary features that you have to pay for. That seems like a disgrace to the open source community, IMO. At least if they offered just an OWA replacement for Exchange 2000, now that would be something useful. You know, something with a spell checker built in and ability to view the GAL. I'm not ranting, I'm just a bit frustrated with M$.

OK, SBS isn't my bag really, but how about this?

Buy a new box and SBS2003. Install it as Exchange and SQL in same domain. Migrate the SQL data using flat file back up. Migrate all mailboxes and public store info to the new box.

But SBS 2003. Clean install to existing box, join existing domain, migrate mailboxes, public store, bridgehead etc back to this box. Patch to Exchange 2003 SP2 which will give you up to 75GB of store.

Delete store from new server and then you have Exchange on one, SQL on the other, 75GB store capability and soft cost is 2 x SBS 2003, hardware cost is one box. Disable any services possible to keep the speed up.

Depending on complexity, that is a single days work for you. Unfortunately I don't know any SBS people in Florida, otherwise I'd suggest someone to do the work for you. It is a bit of a trek for me :)

Thanks! Wow, I didn't know Exchange 2003 provides up to 75GB of store space. Right now we are hovering just under the limit.. I hit it once and that wasn't fun. I had to do the temporary increase to 17GB and then an offline defrag.. How could I migrate the mailboxes from an SBS 2000 to an SBS 2003 box? Does "move mailboxes" work with SBS servers? I thought you could only have one server with SBS.. also, we are running with more than 50 users on SBS.. what is the limitation of SBS 2003? I really appreciate your help.

Move mailboxes should work though I've never moved SBS to SBS (have done SBS to full Exchange).

SBS 2003 has a 75 user limit from memory.

Exchange 2003 only has a 75GB limit at SP2 and beyond and even then you need to so something clever - this blog entry details what you need to do.

OK, just obtained some new info.

You can't have 2 SBS boxes on the same domain beyond a migration time (2 weeks). Suggestion, upgrade the SBS2000 to SBS2003. Use that as the SQL box. Version upgrade is T75-00750

Buy Exchange Standard 2003 and Windows Server 2003 for the new box (Dell offer Windows quite inexpensively as an OEM). The SP2 for Exchange will give you 75GB. Then use the swing method to bring Exchange to the new box, then your original box can be used for SQL without the hit of using it for Exchange as well.

NOTE - I've not looked into client access licences for either Windows, Exchange or SQL. If you have 50 users, I assume you have 45 device CALs at SBS2000 which can be upgraded.

Look at run by Jeff Middleton. Great site.

If your looking to migrate to full blown non-SBS versions you can also convert your SBS licenses to the full blown equivalent with Transition Packs. Saves you a little cash and lets you re-capture some of that initial SBS investment.

OWA comes as part of Exchange (i.e. free) and that free one doesn't list webdav connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back