Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overworking my processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teckachick

Technical User
Feb 26, 2015
US
problem,
I bought a laptop to install linux. it has a good processor,core 2 quad, good memory, 4gb and a good hard drive. I installed zorin and everytime i run it, the fan in my processor is non-stop and there was alot of heat. the other day I put the original drive into the laptop with windows 7. the processor ran cool and the fan wasn't non-stop. it ran idle for a while and didn't overheat. to rule out the hard drive I installed Mint on the old drive it came with. it ran hot again.

tell me is there some setting in linux that overworks the processor? if not what's wrong? [sad]

Is this the Core or the Lite version

Pop up a terminal and type top. This will tell you what the top running process is and how much CPU it is using. What are the top running processes when you run Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back