Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oversized posters, how to setup and print 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotbol

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
DK
Hi

I am about to make a poster in indesign. its divided in 12 tiles (750mm x 750mm), 3 tiles tall and 4 tiles wide.

since there will be some graphics overlapping the tiles both horizontally and vertically, i have made 1 page with all the tiles.

Now to my problem :)

I need to print each tile with approx. 20mm bleed, bleedmarks and cropmarks.. how would i go about doing that?

best regards

Rotbol

The quickest way I can think of is this:
Save as a new document called Tile 1.
Double click on the crosshairs in the upper left hand corner of your document window to make sure the corner of your file is set to zero.
Group everything, go to the transform palette & click on the upper left hand corner and write down the x and y coordinates (should be at least your 20 mm bleed so let's say they are -20mm and
-20mm).
Change the document size to the size of a single tile (187.5 x 250 mm). You'll see the elements shift on the smaller page size.
Click on the upper left hand corner of the document window to reset zero and type in the -20 and -20 into the x and y coordinates. This will position the upper left tile in exactly the same location as in your original document. So now you can print the upper left tile with all the printers marks.
Then simply type in a -187.5 behind the x coordinate to move all the elements over 1 tile to the right.
Keep doing this until you have printed all 4 and then type -250 behind the y coordinate to move everything up & start on the next row (type +187.5 to get everything to move back to the right).
You can save each move as a new document to save having to redo this whole procedure.
Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks!

You just got a star [thumbsup]

Rotbol

Another way to do it -- simpler -- is to use automatic tiling when you print.

In the print dialog box choose the size paper that you'll actually be printing on. Then in the Setup tab check "Tile", choose "Auto", and then set the Overlap to your desired 20mm. InDesign will automatically break it down into the smaller pieces with the appropriate 20mm overlap (and whatever bleed you actually have on the larger page).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back