Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overriding default event category/severity/format in trapd.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

santaclara

Technical User
May 11, 2006
PT
Hi,

I'm trying to write a MIB file to automate all the SNMP trap creation/configuration processes on HP Openview.
I wrote a very simple MIB containing a unique TRAP-TYPE with only 2 variables (severity and description).
The MIB is succefully loaded into HP Openview. The HP OV recognizes the TRAP-TYPE event and updates trapd.conf correctly:

EVENT testetrap5 .1.3.6.1.4.1.8080.0.1 "LOGONLY" Normal
FORMAT NO FORMAT DEFINED
SDESC
Long Descr.:
"Apenas um teste..."
Variables:
1: testeGenSeverity
Syntax="Integer"
Descr="Indicates the severity of an alarm."
2: testeGenDescription
Syntax="Octet String (SIZE(0..255))"
Descr="Provides a textual description of an alarm."
EDESC

When I send a SNMP trap (snmptrap command):

snmptrap -v 1 -c public 10.104.128.49
1.3.6.1.4.1.8080 10.104.128.98 6 1 '' .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.2.6.0 s "Status Alarms"
.1.3.6.1.4.1.8080.80.1.1 i 3
.1.3.6.1.4.1.8080.80.1.2 s TEST

with the respective event (with the override openViewCategory variable-binding) I see on HP OV the message "NO FORMAT DEFINED" with severity Normal.

My question is, how can I override the event's default FORMAT, severity and category with my own OIDs without going to Event Configuration or manualy edit trapd.conf?

Thank you,

Filipe

Hi,

I don't think that you can, as there probably won't be any severity information embedded in the trap information that is sent.

The severity assignment is a function of its definition within trapd.conf, not information taken from the received trap.

Nigel Bowden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back