Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overprinting in Indesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

halthewalker

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
GB
I'm having a little bother with overprint.

I kind of understand what it's there for, I think.

It's to create a sort of transparency effect in XPress, isn't it?

Problem is, now InDesign has it's transparency feature, isn't it a little redundant now?

If not, what's it's purpose?

And is there anyway of automatically turning it off? It keeps popping up when I don't want it to and mucking pieces up when they go to print.

I know I could individually check the attributes of all elements on the page but, given the nature of my work, that seems a little too much like a mammoth job.

Any takers?

Theoretically ID should not be overprinting anything unless it's designated for overprint. ID is set to overprint black at 100% in the default preferences. You can disable that in prefs/general.

Is the problem coming from imported documents or placed artwork?

Even with ID's transparency features, overprint is a key component of trapping. Overprinting will remain a necessary option.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Thanks Marcus. Once again you have leapt to my aid like a bodyguard taking a bullet for the president.

You are invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back