Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overlaying HTML text

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabster

Programmer
Feb 9, 2002
GB
I 'm new to Dreamwaver and need to overlay text over an imported image. Unlike DTP packages I'm struggling to acheive this. I need my text to be HTML as it needs to be legible. I tried to import the text as part of the background image but as it's lo-res it isn't legible.

How can i achieve this. many thanks in advance.

You can create a layer on top of the image and place your text inside the layer (Layer tool on the objects palette). However, if you have your page centered or anywhere but left side and if your page size varies with the user's browser dimensions, the layer may float away from your intended location. Dennis Hays, Publisher
mailto:dhays@haysdesign.com

thanks Dennis, I take it that by laying a layer over the the background I won't be able to have a table? But as the intended page is a fixed sized chromeless window I assume that this won't be a problem?

Again many thanks.

Kabster,

Yes, you can build your structure via a table. When ready, grab a layer and "draw" it over the table where you want it. Note carefully the X and Y coordinates. Use those rather than eyeball for proper placement. The Z coordinate is the stacking order--think of it like layers in Photoshop. Higher numbers = closer to the user. Lower numbers = closer to the browser.

If you have a fixed size, chromeless table then the layer won't shift on you. You should be fine.

The only other way I know that may work is to use Absolute values in a CSS, but I've never done it that way. . .

Dennis Dennis Hays, Publisher
mailto:dhays@haysdesign.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back