Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overlapping divs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexthageek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am having a problem on in IE (of course) with my css menu.

When a user scrolls over menu link and the drop down list appears it appears beneath any divs located below it.

You can see what I am talking about here:

My CSS files are available here:

I works great in FF. I have also tried setting z-index which does nothing at all.

Thanks for taking a look.
Mike

You need to ensure that both your "topMenu" div and your "inside" div are positioned - whether relatively or absolutely. It doesn't matter which - but they both need to have some sort of positioning other than the default "static".

Then, you need to give both a z-index, with the "topMenu" div having a higher one. I'd suggest using 10 and 20, or something similar.

This might cause a small shift in your elements, but if it cures the problem, I'm sure you can work on that.

The reason you've probably not had much success with z-index is understandable. In fact, many people do not understand the way it works. As I understand it, only sibling elements can affect each other vis-a-vis their z-indexes. So in your code, setting the z-indexes of the menus themselves wouldn't change their ordering with regards to the content, because they are not sibling elements.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Dan,

Awesome, thanks for the info, I will give it a try later.
I will let you know of the out come.

Thanks again.

Mike

Your suggestion worked perfect. It always seems like IE is the bad child when it comes to dealing with CSS.

Thanks your help was invaluable to this project.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back