Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overlapping DID Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbum5280

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
We are moving to FoIP (faxing) solution. One of the money saving options is to consolidate our PRI's. In doing so, I came across 20 numbers that overlap with our meetme numbers.

Is there a way to get the faxes to go to the Rightfax server when one of those 20 numbers is dialed? Yet, still have the 20 numbers available for Meetme. My only thought was to have the telco pass 7-10 digits instead of 4. Is there another way, that isn't too complicated? Thanks in advance!

if the digits received from the Telco overlap and on the same PRI that would not work. You will need to get variable length digits from the provider to do that. If it is on different PRI's you can manipulate that with calling search spaces.

They are being moved to the same circuit so I can't change it to 7/10 digit number. I guess I will look at moving the meetme numbers to a different range. Thanks for your help.

Yeah you'll need to. To recap then:
You have a DID say 212-555-2000 and a DID 212-666-2000 and they both receiving 2000 from telco on one circuit? If so your only choice is to ask the telco to change the DNIS received on ine of them to something else not used, eg 3000 or eliminate one of them. I would say the 2nd option is best since you are paying for them and can't use one as they are now. Poor design I must comment.

I would have the provider send 7 or all 10 digits. Then you can use a TP to drop them back down to whatever 4 digits you want. Not sure why MeetMe overlap would be an issue. MeetMe numbers aren't dialable unless you hit the MeetMe softkey first. I guess if someone started a MeetMe on 2000 THEN someone dialed a fax on 2000 it would overlap. I usually set all my 'system' numbers, MeetMe, MWI, etc. to an unused range (like 89XX usually) from the start then there is less chance of an overlap in the future.

Re-reading the original post, if you don't have the issue that whykap described, just put the RightFax numbers in their own partition and put that partition above the MeetMe numbers partition in the Gateways CSS. Of course, this suggestion would stop anyone from being able to dial into a MeetMe using a DID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back