Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overhead Paging with MAX1000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjitima

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
US
We just installed a new Altigen MAX1000 system. It is our second Altigen system, but our first MAX1000. Everything seems to be working the way we want it except for the overhead paging.

With the old system, we bought a talk battery and used a trunk port. However, with this system, we had the audio output port on the front and wanted to use it. I am having problems and neither the Altigen dealer or the amplifier dealer seem to know how to solve it.

I have an 1/8" mini jack plugged into the output on the front of the MAX1000 server, and the other end connected to the TEL input on my Bogen C60 amplifier. When I use #44, I get no signal. However, if I plug the 1/8" mini jack into the output on my laptop, anytime I play any sounds, they mute the AUX1 on the Bogen and use my laptop as the source.

I have plugged a set of headphones into the output of the server and hit #44 and that seems to work.

So both sides appear to be working correctly independently, but when put together, I can't get them to work. Does anyone know of anything I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ben Jitima

I just tested the headphones on the Altigen server again, and there is almost no signal strength, I can barely hear the output. I don't know if it was that low before as I wasn't the one listening to the headphones, but the one speaking into the telephone. Is there a way to boost the signal, or is it possible that the board is bad?

Ok, so I found out why nothing was working right. The cable we were using was a TRS 1/8" mini jack with the wires separated on the amp end to Left(tip), Right(ring), and Common/ground(sleeve). The TEL input on the amp looks like:

----TEL----
| GRND |
X X X

(Where X is a binding post)

We were told that the amp needed GRND (which is sleeve on the cable) unplugged, and then tip and ring on the left and right binding posts.

What is looks like from me testing with a butt set, the MAX1000 system does not send any signal down tip or ring. When I disconnected one and connected the sleeve to one of the outer binding posts, it worked perfectly fine.

Hopefully this can help anyone who may run into the same problem that we did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back