Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overhead paging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy2

Vendor
Aug 31, 2005
US
Hi,

I have a customer that just removed a Nortel system and installed a Cisco CM. I don't know the release or anything about cisco systems. The paging(Bogen equipment)worked very well with the Nortel (cs 1000M) via an analog station port. An ATA was installed with the cisco but regardless of what I try, the paging will not work. The cisco system only supplies 48v of ring current from what I can determine and the Bogen equipment requires 90v to trip the relay and open a talk path. Does the Cisco require a Bogen TAMB for paging? I have a Bogen PCM TIM(telephone interface module) and numerous Zone Page Access Modules connected. The company has about 7 different page zones and nothing that I have tried has worked. FXO,FSO,ATA, etc...

Any ideas?

This may sound dumb but did you try reversing the wires? Ring generator is only supplied on one wire, not across the pair.

Good point and well taken. I don't mean to insult you, but that is what tip and ring is all about. The polarity is correct. I think the problem resides in the ring voltage coming from the CM. Is there any device that convert the ring voltage required to actvate the relay or am I out of luck? there has to be a way to page with a cisco system provided the existing equipment. Any CCIE folks out there?

So you put a volt meter on the ATA and you are only getting 48v when ringing?

Hi,

Although I have not measured the ring voltage with a meter, My CCIE voice buy assured me that the system only supplie 48 volts. I think we have to explore an FXS port so we can manipulate the voltage. The aux ring voltage generator is too cool. Wonder if that will work. I will let you know. Thanks for your all your help guys.

I looked into the specs for an ATA and it provides 40Vrms of ring voltage. An FXS port from a vg224 provides 50Vrms.
I have connected a vg224 port to a bogen pcm tim with no issues.
You can get a vg202 that will provide 54Vrms of ring voltage or try an FXS port off a vic module installed in a router.

Oh yeah i forgot. The VIC3-2FXS-E/DID module provides 65 Vrms.
the part that iwontremember suggests will probably work.

How far is the ATA from the bogen by the way?

The ATA is only 25 feet away. The VIC3-2FXS-E/DID looks like the solution. Bogen said that they need a minimum of 62 volts to work.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back