Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overhead Paging by Trunk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjitima

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
US
The way our dealer explained to us, we can plug one of our extra trunks into an external amplifier, configure that trunk as Paging, and should be able to use #45,xx to page through overhead speakers.

Does anyone know the correct pin-out for us to use in the 6 pin jack plugged into our Ortronix patch panel? I've tried a couple of different pin-outs that I thought should be the most common and the system keeps the trunk in a Not Ready status and beeps an Error at me when I try to use the #45,xx.

Or am I possibly doing something wrong? Or does it need to be a special type of amplifier? Or does the system just not work that way?

Thanks,
Ben

The amplifier has to provide talk battery to the phone system so the AltiGen will recognize that something is there. Your amplifier may have a setting for this (a dip switch or something) or it may not provide it at all. Consult the documentation for your amp. If it does not provide talk battery, a Viking PI-1 could be installed at low cost (cheap) to provide the interface between the AltiGen and the amp.

What kind of amp are you using? We'll look at the documentation and see if it'll work without a PI-1

The amplifier is a 3M AT-30. I called 3M and got hold of the wrong department. She tried to transfer me to their communications department and got a voicemail. I'm still searching the web for a manual, but not having much luck.

Who sells the Viking PI-1 new? I saw a few eBay listings just in a quick Google search.

I just got off the phone with 3M and also spoke with my boss. 3M said that the model amplifier we have has been discontinued for around 10 years at least. My boss said instead of trying to patch up this older system to get it to work, he'd rather just buy a new amplifier that is fully compatible with the Altigen system. Do you have any suggestions on a brand/model of amplifier?

AltiGen published an Application Note entitled "Connecting an Overhead Paging System" on November 22, 2006. In that note, they mentioned the following equipment as being compatible:
Valcom V-2001A
Valcom V-2003A
Bogen TPU15A, TPU35B, TPU60B, TPU100B, and TPU250

I don't know the specs for your 3M amp, but if the AT-30 indicates a 30 Watt amp, the TPU35B might be appropriate for your application. I would recommend speaking with your dealer for some guidance -- if they are telecom dealers, they probably sell Bogen and Valcom equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back