Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilley

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Hi, I am getting this error when trying to print a report with a VB 6 front end and a SQL server 7 back end.

Runtime error '6': Overflow

This database has approx. 35000 records in it. Trying to pull any one of those records causes this error. Is there something I could look for in the code?

Are you using an Integer variable in any way connected with the number of records? If so, change the type to Long, because an Integer in VB6 has a maximum value of 32,767. Anything greater than this will cause the overflow error you are seeing.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Thanks for your response. That makes sense.

Finding that particular variable will be a challenge given the amount of code I have to look through. I am new at VB programming. ;-)

Right click on the code window and select Toggle then Break on All Errors. Then run it again and it should error on the line giving you the problem.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Hi. i have no knowledge of Visual Basic except the problem..
This is a custom bidding application, originally running as a shared data base on a server for multiple users and running on Windows 98.
I am now attempting to load onto new stand alone PC running on Windows 2000
and get: Runtime error '6': Overflow immediately after entering my user name and password.
Original programmer has dissappeared and I need to access the calculator.
I have VB6, the source code CD, and a large number of files of various kinds. I understand that I might have to reassemble for the new configuration, but I have no idea what to do.

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back