Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overcoming large image map problem in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradlkm

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

On one of our web applications, an image is created dynamically. On this image the user can hover the mouse over some parts of the picture to get certain information, and can then click on these same annotations to edit them. In order to do this, I create an image map along with the image. The image map has onMouseOver and onClick properties for the image.

The problem is that the image map for this picture can get quite large, and when it gets too large it drives internet explorer nuts. In one example, the image map alone is 1.5 MB of information, and when internet explorer tries to open it the browser will not show the image, the buttons go haywire (i.e. radio buttons are replaced by j's), and after closing the browser, windows will act weird (such as right-click menus coming up all black) until I restart the computer.

I have tried to run the app on a few different computers, all with the same symptoms. I can run it in Netscape 7.0, but cannot get it to run in IE.

Does anyone know why IE does this?

Kevin B.
.Net Programmer [thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back