Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binnit

Technical User
Apr 28, 2004
US
I had a call from a friend to look at his PC which has started to intermittantly fail on boot and leaves an "Overclocking!!" comment before it then enters XP startup.

If the machine is left for 10-15 minutes (allowing it to cool) it will boot normally.

I have read that this is done by retailers to "boost" the PC but how can I set this back to standard clockspeed? is it as simple as changing the values in the bios? or do I need to seek specific advice?

Any guidance appreciated

If IT ain’t working Binnit and Reboot

How" depends on the make/model of the motherboard, BIOS, and PC. More info on the specs would help...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg
I do not have the spec at hand unfortunatley, I have since been told that by temporarily removing the cmos battery it will reset the bios to original settings, if the problem persists thereafter I will need to investigate further.

Does this make sense?

Yes, resetting the Bios will return it to factory defaults, but you should go into your CMOS setup to verify the overclocking if you think this was done by the reseller.

That message also appears, when the PC crashes and restarts, as the circuitry and program of the BIOS, think that this was due to OVERCLOCKING...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Johnthephoneguy / badbigben

Thanks for your replies, I will be checking the machine again later today and will get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back