Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overclocking a P2 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
I know I know its old but I didn't know if anyone knew how to overclock a P2 300...does anyone know fast she'll go?? I heard 500 max Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

I heard that with the plastic casing on the slot1 and the metal heat plate on the back that it builds up alot of heat...would it be a good idea to take both on and just krazy glue a socket 7 heatsink fan to the processor on the slot1??? Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

Use heatsink paste. They do make a fan that fits in a pci slot also. LOL PEARL

I understand that it's only the legendary Celeron 300A that will overclock to 504Mhz. No other PII class chip will overclock by that percentage, TTBOMK.

As ever, YMMV. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

You are pretty much wasting your time trying to overclock a P2 300. They made faster P2 Processors maybe you can find a better processor that will work on your motherboard and just upgrade it. Usually older processors do not cost much. You probably already know this, but you would be better off just purchasing newer equipment. It is getting hard just to find good PIII motherboards. I am using a Celeron 1.2 Gig Processor and it runs great. It is a Tulatin Core which was the last PIII Celeron with the 256k L2 Cache. They make these up to a 1.4 Gig Processor for PIII motherboards.

The lower end P4's or older AMD Athlons are probably easier to find and will give you the best performance because they have faster Memory and larger Cache sizes. They also can support more memory bandwidth. Since they came out with the 3 Gig P4 it is hard to justify buying less than a processor of 2 Gig or Higher. That is why a P2 300 is not worth messing with. A P2 300 has less than one 10th of the fastest processor available. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I had a P2 266 that ran at 300Mhz:) The heatsink got so hot it would burn your fingers!!! It was a large heatsink to, I add a fan to it and it was OK. Point is, thats a 35nm chip so its going to run HOT.

You can get a slot-T adaptor ($19.95) or Powerleap ($39.95) and a Tualatin Celeron 1.4ghz retail boxed($62) and run it at 14 * 112Mhz = 1568Mhz:).

This upgrade works good on my Epox 6VBA2 slot 1 motherboard.

Cya x::0:0::::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back