Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overclocking a AMD K6-2(providing the board has a manual and ability) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I'm just posting this mainly cuz when alot of people think of overclocking they think it's some really big deal, to clear some of this up to any future potential questioners, I simply looked in my Motherboard manual, found the jumper settings for a K6-2/500 then set my K6-2/450 to look like a 500 just by changing those jumpers.

<br><br>

The tips i have are quite short, i dont recomend overclocking over 50Mhtz , and from what i heard K6es are not good to overclock, but i seem to be doing fine, also when looking in your MB manual, i only sugest you find a jumper setting for the same type of chip, but faster to the speed you want, like mine, to go from 450 to 500, i only had to move a single Dip switch.<br><br>

The only difference was the voltage had to be 2.4V anyways, but all it did was go from 4.5X to 5X Multipler.<br><br>

If yer gona overlock, I recomend lots of venilation, and if you got an old cheapie system, and yer trying to push it like 100 to 200 Mhtz higher, I would just have to ask, if yer purposily trying to find a reason to buy a new PC.<br><br>K6-2s are dirt cheap now days anyways. If yer one of those lucky people with a Geforce256, i have an SDR brand, the max i do on that is 145 Core/200 Memory. Right now what i got going is the cover of the case is off, i got a fan the size of the case itself blowing in on the open side, with only an inch and a half of clearance behind it from the wall, i got CPU fan, front fan, socket fan, then of course the power fan.<br><br>Majority of people would not recomend my method, opening the case that is, for 2 reasons, 1) Dust, 2) Static electricity, so far i'm convince i have almost zero static in this lil room, and far as dust goes, i'm keeping an eye on it, so far so good. Also , never use any drive (HDD) compression software, only slows you down, find CPU coolers like Rain and WaterFall, which are able to turn off certain routines on cpus like K6-2, so that it runs a bit cooler when yer not using it much.<br><br>On those harddrives, keep them defragmented every so often, and make sure they have DMA on, always helps, on some windows, they load unneeded files into the memory, i know one of them was drvspace.bin, you can rename that and reboot, if you dont think you'll ever run into a floppy or a HDD compressed with it. When using Win95, 64M is minimum preferable, win98, 128 is minimum preferable, reason being is that i belive in Win95, it reserves about 16 megs to itself, leaving you with 48M rams to work with, win98 takes about 32M. And if you are gona go out and buy rams for that puter, PC100 SDrams 8ns is good, and 2x2x2 cycle, not 3x2x2 cycle.<br><br>Well thats about what i can think of now, just respond to say correct me, or if you had questions

Huh?<br>
<br>
In any event, I tend to disagree with you on overclocking. When the<br>
manufacturers test the chips, the ones that are capable of operating<br>
at 500MHz are sold as such, whereas, if another chip only operates<br>
reliably at 450MHz, it is tagged 450. Overclocking is asking for<br>
trouble, in my opinion. <p>David J. Aller<br><a href=mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com>GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</a><br><a href= Computer Systems & Networking Services</a><br>

It depends on whatever the chipset is, and yes there is always a risk when engaging in changing anything the manufactuer did not intend. But still look at the athlon systems, you get those things much cheaper at 600Mhtz, yet it's able to goto 1 Ghtz without problems(none posted yet). and in my opinion they tag the chips, whatever safe limit it can go without extra help, from say heatsinks, fans etc. theres an old rumor i've been hearing, is that Intel when they make their chips, they pump it up to the max and sell it at that price, and AMD underclocks, it, so tha tyou can actually clock it much more, i've also heard the reverse, but in any case, many people, even gammers, are into overclocking. Yes theres risk involved, but after seeing numerous secussful overclockings, and even some copanies even allow you to overclock their products Via software, it helps add to the hype of marketing, when somehting can be overclocked. And also the designs arent randomly tested to say &quot;ok this one did 500, tag it, this one did 300 tag it&quot; no they were made the way they intended. if thats what you were trying to say. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

I'm running my K6-2/450 at 500, with no probs, my friend is running his Athlon 500 at 850 with no probs(rock solid he said too), and another friend of mine, or used to be the network admin at my workplace, has his Celeron overclocked, and runs very solid for him. and i get most of my sources from review places like tomshardware.com, sharkyextreme.com few friends, and thru experience.<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

When a mfr. rates a cpu for clock rate, it is rated to operate at a given core voltage and over an operating temperature.<br>
<br>
Overclocking increases the risk of instability and will shorten the life of the cpu (how much? depends on lots of things.) I have overclocked a K6 from 266 to 315Mhz and it was very stable at 2.3Vcore. My present K6-3-450 is not a good overclocker. 500MHz is not stable. My k6-2-450s will both do 500MHz just fine at 2.3v. My k6-2-500 will not do 550MHz even at 2.5v. My Intel Celeron 300A will do 504MHz just fine if I run it at 2.2Vcore instead of 2.0V and put on a killer large heatsink and fan.<br>
<br>
Increasing the core voltage a bit (no more than 10% to 15%) usually increased stability but causes more heat obviously, as does the overclocking process itself.<br>
<br>
In the case of cpus that do not have any L2 cache (such as all of the AMD k6 series except the K6-3) upping the main memory speed will also cause the pci and agp speeds to increase. The L2 cache on the motherboard, which usually operates at main memory speed (some motherboards will allow the L2 to operate at a faster speed, say 100MHz and the main memory to operate at the agp speed: 2/3 of the L2 speed. The cpu sees the L2 speed except for L2 cache misses.) If the pci and agp devices (and hard drives) can handle the higher speeds, the system will be faster than just overclocking the cpu. Keep in mind that much more than just the cpu is being overclocked. Don't forget to consider that a wimpy power supply can also give problems.<br>
<br>
If something in the system can't handle the overclocked speed, then just overclock using the cpu speed multipliers. <br>
<br>
If you are doing significant overclocking on (especially older motherboars), the motherboard's Vcore voltage regulator may not be able to supply enough current for good cpu stability. This may be most true when running a cpu at a speed much higher than what the motherboard claims for that cpu. One motherboard only rated a K6 up to 266MHz. I used it with a k6-266 but at 315MHz. It ran just ducky. I swapped the cpu for one rated at 500MHz but it was &quot;only&quot; being ran at 450MHz. Not stable. The motherboard's Vcore voltage regulator is not rated for the current that 450MHz operaton needed. Some motherboards have settings that are not documented at the time the motherboard's manual was printed. Checking the mfr's web site may give additional settings. Bios updates may provide increased stability and/or settings.<br>
<br>
Overclocking can be fun but keep in mind the potential problems.<br>
<br>
Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks to some1 who could actually agree with overclocking &quot;sometimes&quot; and how it all varies, least he even didnt have a prob with the K6-2/450 like i have, but like he said , risks are always involved.(and my CPU only needed a .5X multipler change, not a voltage)<br>
(hey any1 have any specific details on using a Peltier, i just bought one today, its a Fan+HeatSink+Peltier combo) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back