Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Over the Size Limit with very few emails and no Attchmnts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneekn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2001
US
I have been getting alot of calls from users this past week about users getting "over the size limits" in their inbox.
They are cleaning their boxes very well, sent items, deleted items ect... Some I have created personal folders for but they were obvious.
We have Exchange 5.5 on NT server and use Outlook 2k.
Oh and I noticed this starting around the mydoom virus...
We got through it ok but it could have something to do with it.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

You can see the size of a mailbox in the exchange admin under configuration/servers/Mailbox resources.

Are they really over the limit is first thing to check.

I had this problem and found that my users were 'journalling'. Check the journalling folder and change the view to 'entry list'. Some users had thousands of entries. Once these were deleted and journalling turned off things were fine.

I get this all the time and the users are just plain over thier limit. They can say whatever they want.
Check their mailbox sizes. Journaling is used only by mistake and I have never found anyone using it.

Don't forget that deleted items contribute to the mailbox size.

To add to the above comments...

1. Use Exchange Admin to check the mailbox resources
2. Go to the user's Outlook, right click on Outlook Today, choose Properties the Folder Size. This will tell you how the space is being used. Delete the content of the offending folder
3. Add the "Size" field to the Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, etc... Now the hard part: explain to the user the difference between MB, KB, and B and how it relates to the amout of space they are allowed.

I can't count the number of times I heard a user say "Over my limit? I only have 3 emails" and I find a 150 MB attachment of Creed MP3s or .BMP photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back