Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outside exchange email addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryUSA

MIS
Aug 20, 2002
US
I have SBS2003 standard edition running in a small office.
People in offsite locations also use the same email address
Name@company.com (From network solutions)they are not a part of the SBS domain. As It is just a network in that domain/building.(10 users).
When someone in house sends a email to them they get a message bounced back to them :
our message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: Test

Sent: 9/21/2005 12:13 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Lideysa Callejas on 9/21/2005 12:14 PM

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

<CompanyName.com #5.1.1>
I know it's because they are not a part of that domain/and they have no exchange box set up.
They have no more money to add the other 20-30 CALS to support these people.
My question is how can people in-house send to these people and just bypass exchange looking for it and it going out to network solutions and they being able to pull it up in Outlook 2003?

Http:\\&quot;It's the 21st Century I was promised a flying car! Where is my flying car?&quot;
[afro]

first off...disable the license logging service and stop getting prompted about CALs....MS doesn't even care...and we did away with license logging in windows vista/longhorn....
all we would want to see is the reciepts for CALs basically....so theres small background hint there

the only other though I have is to set up an account and mailbox for them in the domain, then set all their mail to forward to external address

keep in mind regarding CALs...its always cheaper to buy the CALs than to do the workarounds, or worse yet, take advantage of the disabled license logging service...you are looking at anywhere between 1000-100,000 dollar fine per non authorized CAL vs. teh $100+ to buy the CAL....

bottom line is...if you are emailing an email to your own organization, and the user account and mailbox do not exist....no mail will ever go to that account
you musth ave them tied into AD there....if its not possible...you should consider the forwarding mail concept or just using third party email provider for those users (such as hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.)

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

I would agree with setting them up within your domain, but if that is not possible it should be possible to change the other groups mail to be a sub domain. So, something like this:

your domain is XYZ.COM
set them up on ABC.XYZ.COM

Create an MX record for ABC.XYZ.COM to point to the ISP email. I can't swear to it but I believe Exchange will recognize that that sub domain does not exist locally and will check public DNS for that.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back