Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Output Video to a TV 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I have a workstation (with a video card installed) running Windows2000 professional and would like to output the video to a TV. I have the following questions:

1. I am thinking about installing another video card with "vide output to TV" function in the computer. However, can Windows 2000 can handle two video cards?

2. If it does, what kind of video card could you recommend to me? Also, can Windows 2000 professional put different running tasks on differnet video output device?

3. If Windows 2000 cannot handle two video cards, I might need to buy a TV card to link TV and the current video card. What kind of TV card could you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Seaport

Seaport,

I'm not sure if windows 2000 supports duel video cards but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it did. After all it's supported in windows 98 and win 2000 is a far more stable os and there for would better be able to handle it.

As for what card to use I would look into buying the Visiontec Gforce 2 mx400. It has both tv out and a monitor port. It ranges from $75 to at the most $110 and works great for me.

Also it seems like there is very little point in keeping your old vid card since you would have to disable it to use the tv out function on most cards. Unless ofcource you plan on using more then one monitor at a time.

Hope this helps,
MercuriusX

I think they make just video out cards also, that don't act as the PC video card. This may be cheaper and allow you to not have replace your existing card. Also, if you try to use both cards it can be a bit of a hassle. It may technically be supposed to support two at the same time, but things don't always play as nice as they're supposed to.

Osuman,

Do you know about any "just video out cards"? I am just confused by the terms used in the computer hardware market. When I search keyword "TV Card" on the Interent, most of products I got are used to watch TV from PC, rather than to use TV as a monitor of PC.

The only "just video out card" I found is a product called "TView". It looks like a decent product but the prince is not cheap - about $100. Could you give me some recommendations?

Seaport

There are some video cards that have a TV-out option. When you buy video cards you have to look for the different variations and features. My ATI Raedon VE 32MB DDR has two video out plugs. One for the monitor and one for a TV/VCR. I Have never tried hooking it up to two at once. I know Win98/ME supports a 2 monitor video card, I am not sure about XP. On my driver display it lets you choose monitor A or B. I don't know if you can use two at once. Another option would be a card that is designed for Video editing, called a video capture card. Some of the video cameras that you mount on top of the PC come with a card that can do that. If you are going to buy something new you could get both at once. A new dual monitor video card might be nice. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back