Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Output Maps and Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cementcarver

Technical User
Jan 17, 2006
CA
Hello,

I'm looking for the capability of being able to display a map result on the bottom of the report, while also displaying the tabular record on the top portion of the report.

Which version of Crystal does this, and if so, how is it accomplished?

Any help would be appreciated..........CementCarver

Hi,

This will greatly depend on your data and whether you can utilise the preconfigured maps within Crystal Reports.

By Tabular - are you meaning a excel-like summary table/grid look? If so - mapping and Cross Tabs have been available as early as Crystal 7.0 - however, it has been my experience that displaying maps with summary results is difficult at best - it seems either the maps are lacking - or custom maps cannot be made to function properly within Crystal.

Hope this helps and I wish you good luck.

Cheers
paulmarr

Thx Paulmarr,

After further investigation, I found out that the available mapping data supplied with Crystal is in MapInfo format and I am still unsure as to whether or not a customizable map could be made for each map my clients require for the Mississauga (Ontario) area.

But thanks for your help anyway.............Cementcarver

Cementcarver,

My experiences with mapping . . . we also own the MapInfo software suite - had custom maps made - but there is no way to get Crystal to recognise the maps - we have been to both MapInfo and Crystal Decisions/BO - both advising that the other vendor is resposible for support.

Never got a resolution in the end - ended up using static maps instead. Did manage to get a custom overlay of an exisiting Crystal map to work - however the maps in Crystal are pretty generic and not very detailed.

Would love to hear if yourself or anyone got any further with this.

Cheers
paulmarr

Paulmarr,

Our clients who use the HANSEN software for call tracking, work orders and inspections now require the ability to report on inspection locations via a map, so I will be further investigating this issue. As any other mapping/GIS company has had to do to remain competitive, is to offer the ability to read other proprietary formats of maps. This is called forward thinking and makes their products even more useful. But some have blinders on.

I'll let you know if we made any advances on this issue.

Keep well.............Cementcarver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back