Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

output circuit breaker cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I had 2 APC ups that tripped their output circuit breakers. This didn't turn each UPS off, but shut off power to the recepticles, which in turn shut off all the servers connected to those recepticles. The manual says this is caused when the connected loads exceed the protected receptacle’s capacity. So i assume this means a server caused this. Does anyone know how I can find out which server? Or is it possible I just have a pdu with too much connected?

It's possible that you just overloaded a PDU and tripped the breaker by overloading an indivdual outlet, although if two UPS's did the same thing I would start checking out the servers, plug each one in indivudually and see what load it is drawing, it one trips the breaker on it's own you have the culprit.

If nothing trips, spread your load out over all the outlets, do not plug everything into one PDU and connect that to one outlet on the UPS.

Generally if the load is too much on the UPS, the UPS would trip, not the wall receptacle... Unless both UPS was drawing a maximum of power. What model of UPS and what is your AC power ? I have 2 APC 1500VA connected to each 15Amp circuit in my server room. Each UPS runs at 35% load. I never tripped a breaker with this setup. I have about 10 circuits loaded this way.

They are SU3000, both about 50%. One is a newer version SU3000. After calling APC, they suggested it might have been a massive surge from the wall that tripped both UPS. Everything has been fine since then, so I'm hoping it will not re-occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back