Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlooks local storage of Exchange messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcasii

Programmer
Aug 27, 2001
AU
Where does Outlook store its local copy of messages that come from an exchange server? I have a machine running XP there was a user account on it previously that had outllok connected to an exchnage server. That account have been removed however I am hoping that the local copy of the exchange server messages are still on the machine somewhere.

Normally there are no local copies of email in an Exchange environment. If the Exchange account was removed the email went with it.

If messages were archived by the user then you might be able to find the message you're looking for. You need to look for a .pst file in their XP user account.

Cheers.

OK, I am on exchange now and when I am offline I can still read past messages so I assume they are stored on my machine somewhere...?

cmeagan656, that's not correct if the user is using Outlook 2003 in an Exchange environment using the default settings.

marcasii, you're cross posting this in various areas, and shouldn't.

If you're using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003, the .ost file should be in
\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

If you're not using that combination, you could look for a .pst file ANY place that the user had WRITE access to, including the local workstation, ANY/EVERY server, AND/EVERY workstation with an open share, etc.

Past that, you're going to need to look to your backup solution, which should provide you with a full copy of the mailbox.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Outlook 2003's default setting is to used cache mode, very icky...no mail is saved on the Exchange server! Make sure that box is not checked in the user's Account Settings on their Outlook profile

That is incorrect Jason. When 'cached mode' is enabled, the local account creates a copy of the email that is stored on the exchange server. Unless you have a stable pc and good backups, always keep cached mode enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back