Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook2000 Synchronisation with Exchange 5.5 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonedog

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2001
GB
We've recently moved our mail server (only physically moved the box) and now all of our laptop users are complaining about a small login box that keeps appearing when they try to check their mail. It asks for Username, Password, and Domain. When they enter their Domain login password nothing happens and they are prompted again. When they escape the box their mail downloads. We use Outlook 2000 on the laptops.

At first I thought it may be the WINS server not updating properly when the laptops are undocked, but that's not the case.

Anybody got any ideas?

Lot's of questions:
When you say physically moved, do you mean to a different subnet on your network? a different domain? Are you connected to a switch?

It would seem odd to me that just laptop users are affected. Are they configured differently compared to desktops? Has anything else changed...even something simple?

I would check their recipient containers - are they still associated to the proper NT account? Are you able to resolve the Exchange server's name from one of these laptops? As an administrator I typically try opening this email from another machine, or my own. Do you use OWA (Outlook Web Access)? If so, does the same thing happen to these users when using OWA?

Physically moved to another building but connected to the original network domain infrastructure through a VLAN. No IP changes at all. Connection through a Cisco switch.

As far as I'm aware the laptops aren't configured differently, but I'll check with our Desktop Team.

If the staff affected log on to a PC their mail is fine.

We don't use OWA.

Only time we see this is when a user changes their password and doesn't reboot before accessing Outlook. Seems the OS caches the old one and tries to use that to do the authentication.

Well, based on that information, my next step would be to bring one of the laptops back to the original bldg and test the connection. If the problem no longer exists, then I would be looking for a possible issue with the routing between/withing your VLAN. Are you using a Cisco Catalyst 6500 series switch with the router blade?

We also have experienced the logon problems when users passwords have changed, but we haven't pinpointed exactly why that problem occurs. It seems it happens most often when we change/reset the password on the server. The old password seems to be still cached on the workstation. To get around that, we have the user log into their workstation with the old password, and then change their password from their workstation.

Ah, that's the killer. All of the laptops have always been based in the building the server has moved to!

I'll get them to log into a PC and see if the problem re-occurs. Thanks for the assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back