Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

perkinst

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
I am receiving mail in Outlook Express, in Windows XP pro. I want to receive it in Outlook. Outlook will not open, I get an error message saying no profile set. I have set a profile but I still cannot open Outlook. Same error message that kicks me out of Outlook.

How did you go about setting up your "profile"? Are you trying to do this for web-based mail (Yahoo or hotmail)?

Outlook version = ??

What you need to do is: (should be quite similar for 2002 & 2003)
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Mail
*sometimes right-click on Outlook shortcut and selecting Properties works - sadly not for me
Select E-mail accounts
Select the type of mail format i.e. Exchange, POP, etc (yours is probably a POP mail account)
Click Next and enter in ALL the information.
You will need your SMTP and POP mail settings from your ISP, your user-name and password and a few further minor bits of info (which you should know)

Hope this helps

It's possible that the Outlook profile is damaged. Create a new one in Control Panel, Mail (classic view required).

Hi Perkinst - I wanted to do the same as your wanting and hit upon a similiar error. It wasnt until I went back and checked everything that I realised I HAD NOT selected (ticked) the box on the outgoing server tab. - Make sure that you tick this box "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.

Mel in the UK

?????????????

Only select SMTP athentication if your ISP requires it.

OK Smar - you are right. - I use AOL with IMAP but I guess POP accounts dont need to tick.

Mel in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back