Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP info and question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikefive

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
First the info, which many may find helpful. Outlook XP Blocks virtually all attachments from being viewed or accessed unless it has an extension of .zip or other similar compressed file type.

Out of the kindness of their heart, Microsoft has given us a way around this annoying roadblock. They recommend you add a string value called Level1Remove to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security with Regedit, making the value ".exe;.doc;.xls" for example, including all file extentions you want to allow access to.

What they don't say is that when you do that, any attachment of a file type in that list will need to be clicked on and saved to disk (in My Documents, by default) before it can be opened. Furthermore, they don't tell you that you CAN open attachments directly from the email if the file type is NOT in that list. I find it easier to use if I create the Level1Remove string field, but leave it blank. That way, I can click on and open ANY attachments.

Here's my minor, but irritating problem, though. If you open a document type that is not in the list (or your list is blank), then do a "save as", it ALWAYS defaults to a folder inside "Temporary Internet Files" called OLK### where ### is some version number like 50 or 432. This folder is PERMANENTLY hidden, no matter how your folder options are set. And while Microsoft claims that by saving a document in another folder, it will remember that the next time, that's a lie. It ALWAYS saves the file in the mysterious hidden folder by default.

Is there any way to override this? I can't find anything that addresses this on Microsoft's site (other than lies). And nothing I dinked with in the registry worked either. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back