Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook XP can't logon to Exchange 2000 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOIPeng

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2002
CA
We have a client that is connecting via a Cisco VPN to our
HQ office. The VPN client seems to be working fine, I can
ping and resolve the Exchange server and see the client's
IP on the Exchange server with a NETSTAT command. However
when the client opens Outlook XP they are prompted for
username, password & Domain as usual however, they enter
it once then are prompted a second time, then are given
the following error message:

"Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username
and domain, then type your password again. If your account
is new or if your administrator requested a password
change your will need to click Change Password then logon
with your new password."

Can anyone help? I have logged on locally to this account
and the user can connect fine using OWA, so the username,
password and domain are fine. The user can see shared folders on the Exchange 2000 Server SP3. The Exchange Server can ping the client fine as well.

We have reinstalled Windows XP Pro with the lastest SP's, reinstalled Office and all the Service Packs, we reinstalled all VPN software and the Network Adapter. I have no idea what else to look for?? Can someone please help?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thank you,
Frank Mirecki
BrantTel Networks

are you receiveing any errors in the event log of the exchange server? I had this problem once and read some where that the email alias and the user account must be the same, but this was on an nt4 workstation running outlook 2k that wasn't part of the domain. but matching the username and the alias worked for me.

Nick

The client is not part of the domain so on Outlook Authentication is set to none. And yes the Alias matches the userid. This was working fine before this only recently stopped working, the client had to reload Windows XP do to an error during XP SP install. But everything has been reloaded, Office Xp included. This user can login via another PC so it is specific to that one PC.

Any more ideas? I am trying a different VPN to see if perhaps the VPN is the issue, but I don't believe it is since all other apps work fine via the VPN. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Frank Mirecki
BrantTel Networks

have you got any special chars in clients username like "_", .... ?

regards

Have you tried deleting that users profile off of that pc(documents and settings\username). And then setting everything up for that person again.

Nick

The problem was that RPC was corrupted, in the registry RPC was missing 5 entries. Some how the Win XP and Office XP service packs corrupted the registry entries for RPC.

Gotta love Microsoft. Thank you,
Frank Mirecki
BrantTel Networks

Frank,

I'm experiencing the same problem. What exactly did you do to correct the issue?

Thanks, Bob

Check the Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RPC\ClientProtocols

You should have 4 keys:
ncacn_http REG_SZ rpcft4.dll
ncacn_ip_tcp REG_SZ rpcft4.dll
ncacn_np REG_SZ rpcft4.dll
ncadg_ip_udp REG_SZ rpcft4.dll

Let me know if this works,
Frank Thank you,
Frank Mirecki

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't have this on their Technet site, as I have encountered this error numerous times when running Windows XP and Office XP and doing Service Pack upgrades.

Thank you,
Frank Mirecki

I agree COMPLETELY - it's listed under an obscure number is the MS KB (321652) and searching for the Event Log Messages doesn't bring up the correct KB article.

I suffered the symptoms described above after a reinstall of XP after SP1 corrupted the hard disk [sadeyes]

Come on Microsoft, get this one sorted!

(And thanks Tek-Tips for finding the solution!!)

I have this problem on a LAN. The erver is available but I am unable to logon. I am going to reinstall the TCP/IP stack and the RPC files and see what happens.

Thanks.....

How can I know if the RPC is corrupted? I have a windows 2003 server and have installed a server component using RPC over HTTP and sniffering i see that the server gives back an rpc error: 5 and the http response is seervice unavailable. Any ideas?

thanks,
alej

I am having the same issue here. I have tried the fix stated above but have not had any luck. I also tried rolling the client machine back to Outlook 200 but that did not seem to work either. OWA works but Outlook client does not.

Running Exchange 2k on Windows 2k Server
Client Machine is XP with latest service pk

I also made the RPC changes on the server. Is there anything else I should check, reconfigure, uninstall? Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

i think you make the rpc registry changes to the client machine...

did you try using the entire email address as username
Give it a try let us know if you got the same error

About time it only took Microsoft until 10/21/2003 to issue a Technet article on this.

Thank you,
VOIPEng

Hey Guys.
Well i had the exact problem.
I've read all the tips in forum ,but no luck...

I was so SIMPLE!!!!

just go to control panel , user accounts , and delete the "Internet password Cached account".

What happens is the user went to OWA and when prompt for user name he checked "save password".
So when he change the domain password outlook always try the cached user\password.

I hope i helped...
Regards

Aris
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back