Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook without Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

MIS
Feb 13, 1999
GB
Is it possible to have users on a network (Windows NT 2000 server or peer to peer) use Outlook and send emails to each other, view calendars, send and receive internet email and all the other Outlook stuff without MS Exchange.

I have had a lot of success with OfficeTalk ( It works with MS SQL, SqlAnywhere and Jet databases and ever on peer to peer networks "out of the box".

However I have a client who wishes to "stick with Microsoft" but with less than 10 PCs recommending an Exchange setup and all the additional overhead of the required admin seem over the top.

Thanks for any help

For a local email server, I would recommend VPOP3 ( for a very reasonably priced product that is highly capable and easy to set up.

You need to understand though, that an email server will not allow you to do "all the other Outlook stuff". Things like calendars and shared folders are proprietary, and only seem to work with MS Exchange. If there's a way of doing those features with a smaller footprint solution than Exchange, I'd like to know about it :) We have Exchange 5.5 for 10 PCs, and it is much more complex than ever we need...

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back