Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Web Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2000
US
Anyone know a good White Paper on how to setup Outlook Web access. I have IIS running on another server, but are there any specific settings I need for OWA? What needs to be done on my Exchange 5.5 server for this to work?
Thanks

Hi
not sure if this will help or not, but i created this document about 2 years ago for a test environment at work, there may be bits that may help you

Outlook Web Access Set Up
Required Components

OWA requires a core set of software to be installed.
Minimum recommended requirements are:
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 3
Internet Information Server 3.0 with Active Server Pages
Exchange Server 5.0 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 3.03 or higher.
While these are the minimum, it is strongly suggested you use Exchange Server 5.5 and Internet Information Server 4.0. OWA will not work on Exchange 5.0 with Internet Information Server 4.0.

Create An Account On Your NT 4 Server

Start / Programs / Microsoft Exchange / Microsoft Exchange Administrator

1. Select FILE / NEW MAILBOX.
2. Enter your name, this fills in the ALIAS which will be your username to log in, you can change this if you want.
3. Select the E-MAIL ADDRESSES tab, your e-mail address is shown next to the SMTP, if you want to change this, highlight and then click EDIT.
4. On the GENERAL tab click the PRIMARY WINDOWS NT ACCOUNT and select CREATE A NEW WINDOWS NT ACCOUNT.
5. The NT ACCOUNT window appears with the DOMAIN you are going to be connected to and your ACCOUNT NAME which you will use to log in.
6. Click OK and exit.

Changing Your Account Properties

Start / Programs / Administrative Tools / User Manager For Domains

1. Double click your newly made account.
2. Give yourself a PASSWORD or leave blank if you wish.
3. Select USER CANNOT CHANGE PASSWORD and PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES.
4. Select GROUPS if you want to add yourself to other groups, you are already a member of Domain Users and this is satisfactory for accessing your e-mail through OWA.
5. Click OK.
6. Select ACCOUNT and in ACCOUNT TYPE select GLOBAL ACCOUNT.
7. Click OK twice to exit.

Changing Your Password Properties

1. Highlight your account.
2. Select POLICIES from the menu bar and select ACCOUNT.
3. Here you can change certain properties in relation to your password, you can also put in options for account lockouts.
4. Click OK to exit.

Changing Your User Rights

1. Highlight your account.
2. Select POLICIES from the menu bar and select USER RIGHTS.
3. Here you can grant yourself different rights.
4. Make sure you are granted the right to LOG ON LOCALLY, you should be all ready as you are automatically a member of the DOMAIN USERS.
5. Click OK to exit.

Verifying The Default Web Site

Start / Programs / NT 4 Option PK / Internet Information Server / Internet Service Manager

1. Expand the INTERNET INFORMATION SERVER, expand your SERVER and then expand the DEFAULT WEB SITE.
2. Right click DEFAULT WEB SITE and click PROPERTIES.
3. On the HOME DIRECTORY tab, verify that a REMOVE button exists next to the application name box. If you do not see the REMOVE button, click CREATE to create the default application.
4. Click the DIRECTORY SECURITY tab and under ANONYMOUS ACCESS & AUTHENTICATION CONTROL click the EDIT button.
5. Verify that ALLOW ANONYMOUS ACCESS and WINDOWS NT CHALLENGE / RESPONSE (in IIS 4) or INTEGRATED WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION (in IIS 5) are both selected.
6. Click OK twice to exit the property page.

Verify The Exchange Virtual Folder

Start / Programs / NT 4 Option PK / Internet Information Server / Internet Service Manager

1. Expand the INTERNET INFORMATION SERVER, expand your SERVER and then expand the DEFAULT WEB SITE.
2. Verify that a virtual folder named EXCHANGE is listed below the DEFAULT WEB SITE.
3. Right click the folder and click PROPERTIES.
4. Verify that a REMOVE button exists next to the application name box. If you do not see it, click CREATE to create the exchange application.
5. On the DOCUMENTS tab, verify that LOGON.ASP is the top default document. If it is not listed, click ADD, type LOGON.ASP and move this file to the top of the list.
6. Click the DIRECTORY SECURITY tab. Under ANONYMOUS ACCESS and AUTHENTICATION CONTROL, click the EDIT button.
7. Verify that the ANONYMOUS ACCESS and WINDOWS NT CHALLENGE / RESPONSE (in IIS 4) or INTEGRATED WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION (in IIS 5) are both selected.
8. Click OK twice to exit the property page.

Logging On To Your Email Account

1. Open up a WEB BROWSER on your client PC.
2. In the address bar type “SERVERNAME/EXCHANGE/LOGON.ASP” and hit enter.
3. The gold Outlook Web Access log on page should now appear.
4. In the LOG ON box enter your USERNAME and hit ENTER (your USERNAME was created when you created your account on page 4. If you have forgot your USERNAME, return to the SERVER and open up USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS via START / PROGRAMS / ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS / USER MANAGER FOR DOMAINS, your USERNAME appears on the left of the window.
5. Your fully accessible email account should now be at your fingertips.

I followed all your steps above but something is still wrong.
Next question is, does IIS need to be installed on my Exchange server or can I use another server? Is Active Server Pages part of the default IIS install? How can I tell if it's already installed?

Can You be "little" more specific about Your problem? What does not work and what kind of errors You have.

-Duudson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back