Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Web Access on 5.5 and NT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie1noakes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
GB
I have just been looking through 5.5 documentation, and it appears that I can set up Outlook Web Access on Exchange 5.5.

I have a couple of questions on this:

1. Can Windows NT 4 Server take this. It looks like it will as long as IIS is set up.

2. If I can do it, are there any reasons why I should not set it up, and wait until we get Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 installed.

I ask, as it looks like we keep getting fobbed off by our head office about the migration to 2003, and I really need to give some of my users web mail.

Cheers in advance

Andy

Hi Alfie,
no reasons I know of not to deploy OWA for 5.5. I've been using it for at least 4 years now. Make sure you apply service pack 4 for exchange 5.5 to both the Exchange server and the server running OWA (if they are not one and the same). Also look for post SP4 security hotfixes for the OWA (I know there are a few) and make sure those get installed as well.

One thing I will say though. The functonality of the 5.5 OWA client pales in comparison to OWA 2003. OWA 2003 is almost 100% as functional as Outlook 2003.

Good Luck!

ImWoody

Thanks ImWoody,

I am hoping that by threatening the right people with the 5.5 version, we should get upgraded sooner rather than later.

Although this could be a dahgerous game to play! Might actually have to set it up in NT4 and 5.5...

I've been running 5.5 on NT for over 4 years now and it's not a bad alternative to not having OWA. Besides, it's so easy to do, it'll be good practice for you! :)

ImWoody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back