Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Spam Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cntcomplain

Technical User
Jul 4, 2005
US
I have yet another question about Outlook Express 6 and how to use the rules.

I am getting 10 or more e-mails a day from people pushing stocks. They have taken all of their information and made it into a gif. image so that outlook will not filter the words I want it to because the words aren't in the e-mail, there on the gif. image. Does that make sense? lol.

Also, in the message properties, there is probably 150 lines of letters. Something like this,

Content-Type: image/gif;
name="subvert.gif"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <000901c6c483$a4997c80$2967b255@qutn>

R0lGODdhUwBdAOcAAO26z1B5cTFsX0V1akZ0ayVnVyBlVDtwZER0ai9rXaKaosysvJKVmFd8dZeW
m5CUmHOHhkh1bYqRk+e4y9ixwytpWtyzxbOirX2MjHuKi5SVmoaQkWiDf0p3bnSIhsGotDlwYzhv
Ym6Gg+q5zShoWc+tveq5zsqsukNzaZCTl2+FhGOBfLChq9SvwN20xt2zxl+Aen+Mjey5zue3zMSp
tkh2bJeXnNexwVh8dum4zcqrubymsbGhqyZnWIOOkD5yZqidpcusuyRnVnaIh094cMiquSZoV7Si
rOW3ylZ8dYySlWGAe4uRlFN6ckl2bXiJiXaJiKGboUx3b4ePks2tvOu6zmSBfaqep3eKiHWIhp+Z
oHmKibqksJOUmd+1xyFmVTxxZauep054b56an7ikr9mywylpWceruFJ5cp2Zn+a3y2WCfiJlVZiX

What does content-transfer encoding mean and is there a way that I can filter words that are in the message properties. For instance, the words content-transfer?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Chris

Tip. The issues with embedded pictures occur for those reading messages in HTML mode. You also have the option to read or preview incoming messages in plain-text mode to avoid some of these security issues. (Note, however, that you lose the ability to change the look of text—font, color, font size, and so on—when you are in plain-text mode.) To find out how to do this, read Use the New Security Features in Outlook Express. Also, you can read E-Mail Handling Technologies for more technical information."

If you don't have too many E-mails to block then these type of programs are worth having.

See what your ISP offers if you are not running an Exchange server.

Most offer filtering of some sort.

I have found that SpamBayes does an awesome job of filtering out even image based spam within Outlook. And it's free too. Google search spambayes.

-Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back