Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook security patch prevents opening of attachments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
I have a user who has applied an outlook security patch which results in the following error message appearing when he tries opening attachments;

Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments

I have looked on the microsoft site for a solution but as usual their instructions seem to send you round in circles and offer no solution. Can anyone tell me of a simple way within outlook or via exchange to de-activate this function

Many thanks

I have this too after upgrading Outlook 2K on my workstations here. My users are now renaming .exe and .zip attachments to .txt to get them through this filter. (i.e. bigpicture.zip.txt) I did not find anyway to adjust this setting.

We had the same problem when a user who installed the update, then stopped receiving email. We followed the instructions on the following link, and it fix the problem. With the Email Security Update form, you will see that you actually get to control what attachments are blocked if any at all.

you will need to copy the link then paste it into your browser. This app is not allowing the full URL.

Does your Outlook 2000 install include SR2 release? If so, the only way to truely disable this feature is to uninstall Outlook and reinstall it without SR2.

Brian
Network Administrator

A quick way to get these attachment is to import them into outlook express

Actually there was already a thread started about this issue and there is an article in Microsoft's Knowledge Base that will fix this issue. Here it is, you will need to cut and paste the address:
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290497

I have made all the registry changes listed in the Microsoft Q documents mentioned here and I still have this problem with OUtlook 2000 SR1. Has anyone found a solution that works without installing the Outlook Security Admin on the server?

A quick solution that I use often is to logon to OWA and retrieve attachments there. The security fix does not block attachments in OWA.

Good, there's no need for users to open .exe or .vbs attachements. We have an ftp server for legite files which can be uploaded or downloaded as necessary. This Outlook feature is not a problem, it's a safeguard. Saves time and money.

I hope I don’t come across as some babbling salesperson, but I wrote an app that might be of use to some people… It’s free, no popups, and quite professional looking. Its about 8 KB zipped, so don’t worry about taking too much of your time. All it does is searches an email for an executable (sorry, only EXE’s now, soon to be COMs, MDBs, etc) and extracts it to the desktop of the user.

Here’s a link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back