Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook reporting outgoing e-mail blocked - by "fortiguard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparWeb

Technical User
Jan 11, 2015
CA
When attempting to send an e-mail from my Outlook client, I get the following messages:

Task 'Steven Fahey @ Rigel - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: ÷54 5.7.1 This message has been blocked because it is from a FortiGuard - AntiSpam black IP address.(connection black ip 24.114.40.8)'

and:

Task 'Steven Fahey @ Rigel - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: ????????'

It doesn't seem to matter what IP address my ISP (Rogers.com) cycles me to when I reset the broadand, I get the same stuff.

I've looked at the Fortiguard website, sent e-mails to them, submitted the on-line forms on their site, with no response.

Ummm, in case I need to say it: No, I am not trying to send spam.

Does anybody know:
a) what Fortiguard is,
b) how they get in the way of my e-mail,
c) a means to contact a human being that will know how to stop it?

Steven Fahey @ Rigel

email addresses cannot contain spaces before or after the @

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

However. "Fortiguard" are a email filtering/scanning service that inbound email can be routed through to 'catch' spam, virus payloads, malware 'drive bys' etc. prior to it being accepted by the receiving SMTP server.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Hi Chris,
"Steven Fahey @ Rigel" isn't the address - it's the name field.
But maybe you still have a point: the special character in that field could be part of the problem. There is plenty of filtered-out spam with stupid characters in my spam box - maybe I should look in the mirror.
I will remove that and see if helps.

How do I figure out which agency is using Fortiguard in the delivery chain between my ISP and the receiver's ISP? I have tried sending to numerous people in my addressbook and none even get sent - leading me to believe this is a filter at my ISP's end. They have not responded to my inquiry.

The headers in the NDR should provide more information.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Nah,
It was me all along. Sort of. My ISP wanted me to stop using the old mail servers a long time ago, but I never bothered to switch to their new ones. I had forgotten about it, but now the grace period is over. Changing the SMTP servers on outgoing (and incoming) mail fixed it. It's still not clear how that provokes a "fortiguard" message, but I don't know how my ISP sets up their mail servers, of course.

Chris, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back