Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook remains in Task Manager when shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
At the end of the day I close off all programs including Outlook, and let the maintenance jobs run through the night, including a back up routine.

However, the back up will not back up the .pst files, because Outlook is still running, according to Task manager, even though it has been shut down. If I remember to shut down Outlook in Task manager, it will work fine.

Any ideas why this might be happening, and then how to fix it?

Cheers,
Brodie

1. Are you up to date on all anti-virus definitions and have you done a full scan?

2. Are you using Word as the email editor?

Gerry

A restart ought to make the PC forget about the links and let your backup go through smoothly.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

This is a Microsoft issue ...I had the same problem. They have a Hotfix for it

I tried finding their e mail and hotfix but I think I deleted it.

I would suggest you go onto their support site and search

Hope this helps!

Dave

fumei, sorry question 2 is "No". I had "use word to read rich text" ticked but not "use word to edit emails"

candeos - I have Office XP with SP3 on Win2k. I checked with MS and all I could find was article 304183 and 262992 that advised to shut it down through Task Manager anyway. (Great help!)

Cheers,
Brodie

I have this exact problem. I have found as many as 10-12 copies of outlook.exe in the task manager. To answer a previous question, yes I am using Word as the email editor. I'll try turning word off to see if that makes a difference. I can't find anything useful about this problem on the MS knowledgebase. MS has to know about it, it's too big a problem. Anybody else have any ideas about what may be causing this?

UPDATE: I have determined that the reason (in my case) that Outlook.exe was not terminating was because if you go into the Tools -> Options, then click "other" tab, the last option is "enable instant messaging in microsoft outlook". When this option was checked, outlook.exe didn't terminate and had to be killed in task manager. When I unchecked this option outlook.exe terminated normally.
Further investigation led to microsoft knowledgebase article:
One of the items "fixed" in this hotfix is described as follows:
When you have a custom MAPI form server that implements the IClassFactory interface and the LockServer method, and the Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook option in Outlook 2002 is selected when you quit Outlook, COM is not unloaded on your computer, and the form server is not shut down.

I have not installed this hotfix yet so I cannot verify that it fixes the problem. If anybody else decides to try it out let us know what happens.

Thanks, ronvdv.

None of the items in the MS kb article affected me, and I have Instant messenger turned off.

However, since I turned off "Use Word to read rich text....", Outlook is unloading properly on shutdown, and my backups are working again.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back