Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Question - Any version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugada

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
US
What is the maximum number of members allowed in a distribution list?

Don't know if this makes any difference or not but, I have Outlook XP using Exchange 2000.

Thanks, Sugada

Sugada,
According to the help file:
Depending on your e-mail system, there may be size limits to distribution lists. If your e-mail server tells you that your distribution list is too large to save, you can create smaller distribution lists and then include them in the large distribution list.
Hope this helps
AngO

Do you want to know for public distribution list or a private distribution list? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I think Sugada meant Private Distribution list.

if sugada meant, public, sugada should be an expert(or trained) and don't raise a question.B-)

Thanks everyone. Sorry, I wasn't quite clear on my problem. I just was trying to find out an answer, which would tell me which way to go on my problem. I found out the answer to my question and I have a solution to my problem. Here was my problem. When trying to create a distribution list in Outlook, I was getting this error:

The distribution list is too large to save on your Network e-mail server. Please remove some members or put some of the names into separate, smaller distribution Lists which can then be added to this one.

I found this later on Microsoft's knowledgebase.

Basically there is a limitation to Outlook's Distribution list (DL) using Exchange 2000. No DL can be larger than 165 emails. So 165... That’s it. Dang! That isn't going to work. I would need about 45 DL's. After researching further, I found a work around to my problem.

Simply take all your contacts, in my case, 7308 members, sort them by category, then drag the category onto the inbox. It may take awhile, but you do not need to use a DL to do a mass mailing. Another way is to have all your emails in an Excel spreadsheet, highlight them all and paste into the To: area of your email. Either way, this would achieve my goal.

Thanks, Sugada!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back