Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook pst files - where are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjmorse

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US
A user's disk has died & I'll need to reinstall the OS. She was using Outlook & storing her data files locally. I've done a search for .pst files on her hard drive - but nothing is there? Any other file type/name they might have been stored under?
Thanks.

They can be anywhere. If you can get into Outlook, right click her personal folders file, and somewhere in there (I don't have it in front of me) it will give you the location of the file. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the local machine, it could be on your network.

Unless . . . (apologies if I'm being stoopidly obvious) in fact it's not a set of personal folders, and is actually an exchange mailbox. Then it would be on the server, and you don't need to do anything with it.

Dumb question but did you search for *.pst or a specific name of the .pst file??

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Have you looked specifically in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

if the disk is dead, how are you searching for files on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back