Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook pst file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesels

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
US
The Microsoft outlook .pst file is on the local machine which is not backed up. I want to place the pst file on the a 2003 server so it is backed up nightly. I see no setting in Microsoft outlook tells the program I have moved it to the 2003 server. Surely I don't have to keep that file on the local machine. Anyone?
Diesel

The easiest way is probably:
[ul]
[li]Copy the .pst file to the server and rename it[/li]
[li]Open Outlook, then use File, Open, Personal Folders file.... Open the new file on the server[/li]
[li]Open & expand the Outlook folder list (if neccessary depending on setup)[/li]
[li]Right click to close the 'local' personal folders file (you may need to choose Propertes, Advanced button first to check the path to make sure you're closing the right one)[/li]
[li]Close Outlook[/li]
[/ul]
Then when you re-open Outlook, it should open the 'server' .pst file. For the record, there might be other ways to do this, but they will depend on what version of Outlook you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back